As always, I forgot that Midsummer started the other night. I was logging around different bank alts, doing some auctions to pass the time and noticed a bunch of Blood Elf Commoners – oh! Midsummer! Well, as I’ve decided to make a little collection of festival guides which I plan to update if anything changes when they next roll around, here is my Midsummer guide.
- Ice the Frost Lord – Slay Ahune in the Slave Pens. You don’t need to find a group starting from this festival (2010), you can now find a random pug the same way you can in random dungeon finder, just go to the drop down menu and select ‘The Frost Lord Ahune’ or speak to one of the Earthen Ring Scout Dungeonmasters found around cities. You can still find a group the old way, but you won’t receive your Satchel without using the Dungeon Finder.
- Torch Juggler – You should only need 10 torches for this. You will gain 5 from one of the quests (see below), and you can buy them for 5 blossoms for a stack of 5 from the Midsummer vendors in cities. To complete the achievement, make sure you’re in Dalaran, keybind the torch, then spam click on the area your character is standing. If you throw them to a place your character isn’t standing then you will lose the torches.
- Burning Hot Pole Dance – You need the complete Midsummer set (which this year you cannot sell back to the vendor) – shoes, chest, shoulders (see below for prices – the hat is not needed). To complete the achievement, equip the set, click on the pole, of which you can find near the NPC you bought the clothes from/handed in your quest to, and spin.
- King of the Fire Festival – Complete the quest ‘A Thief’s Reward‘/’A Thief’s Reward‘, obtained from the Festival Tailspinner(Horde) or Festival Loremaster(Alliance). They will require you to steal your enemy’s flames from each capital city. This quest will grant you with the Crown of the Fire Festival.
- The Fires of Azeroth/The Fires of Azeroth – Honour the flames of Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, and Outlands as listed below.
- Desecration of the Alliance/Desecration of the Horde – Desecrate the flames of Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, and Outlands as listed below.
- Shards of Ahune – Started from a shard looted from the Ahune chest, handed in to the Earthen Ring in Slave Pens. Rewards a tabard and 20 Blossoms.
- The Spinner of Summer Tales/The Master of Summer Lore – Leads to the quest ‘A Thief’s Reward’ for the ‘King of the Fire Festival’ achievement.
- Incense for the Festival Scorchlings/Incense for the Summer Scorchlings – Hand in to scorchlings just outside of any major city, rewards 1 Blossom and starts a tiny little event.
- Torch Tossing/Torch Tossing – Keybind the torch you are given when you accept this quest, stand near the bonfire and throw the torch at the braziers with the Hunter’s Mark symbol above them until the quest is complete.
- Torch Catching/Torch Catching – Light the torch at the fire, then follow the shadow. Stand as close to the shadow as you can and keep chasing it until the quest is complete.
- Unusual Activity – This quest chain opens up another daily quest available from level 22 onwards, which will reward 10 Blossoms.
- More Torch Tossing/More Torch Tossing – Daily quest much the same as Torch Tossing (above) and rewards 5 Blossoms.
- More Torch Catching/More Torch Catching – Daily quest much the same as Torch Catching (above) and rewards 5 Blossoms.
The maps on Wowhead say it better than I can, but here’s a list of all of the flames and their co-ords. Horde and Alliance. Also, remember that Northrend will not count towards the achievement but you will still receive Blossoms for those bonfires.
I don’t know how many of you use or have heard of the TourGuide addon, but I’ve been informed that there is a Midsummer Fire Festival addition to it which makes finding the flames much easier if that interests you at all. If not, here are the co-ords for each bonfire.
- Orgrimmar – (Durotar), Valley of Wisdom – 47,38.
- Thunder Bluff – (Mulgore), Spirit Rise – 21,26.
- Undercity – (Tirisfal Glades), Ruins of Lordaeron – 68,9.
- Silvermoon City – (Eversong Woods), Court of the Sun – 70,43.
- Stormwind – (Elwynn Forest), The Canals – 49,72.
- Ironforge – (Dun Morogh), Hall of Explorers – 64,25.
- Darnassus – (Teldrassil), Rut’theran Village – 55,91.
- The Exodar – (Azuremyst Isle), The Crystal Hall – 41,26.
- Winterspring, Everlook – 59,35.
- Ashenvale, Splintertree Post – 70,69.
- Durotar, Razor Hill – 52,47.
- The Barrens, The Crossroads – 52,28.
- Dustwallow Marsh, Brackenwell Village – 33,30.
- Thousand Needles, Freewind Post – 41,52.
- Tanaris, Gadgetzan – 49,27.
- Silithus, Cenarion Hold – 46,44.
- Feralas, Camp Mojache – 72,47.
- Mulgore, Bloodhoof Village – 51,60.
- Desolace, Shadowprey Village – 26,76.
- Stonetalon Mountains, Sun Rock Retreat – 50,60.
- Bloodmyst Isle, Blood Watch – 55,69.
- Azuremyst Isle, Azure Watch – 44,53.
- Teldrassil, Dolanaar – 55,60.
- Darkshore, Auberdine – 37,46.
- Winterspring, Everlook – 62,35.
- Ashenvale, Astranaar – 38, 54.
- Desolace, Nijel’s Point – 65,17.
- Feralas, Feathermoon Stronghold – 28,44.
- Silithus, Cenarion Hold – 57,34.
- Tanaris, Gadgetzan – 52,29.
- Dustwallow Marsh, Theramore Isle – 62,40.
Eastern Kingdoms Horde:
- Eversong Woods, North Sanctum – 46,50.
- Ghostlands, Tranquillien – 46,26.
- Tirisfal Glades, Brill – 57,52.
- Silverpine Forest, The Sepulcher – 49,38.
- Hillsbrad Foothills, Tarren Mill – 58,25.
- The Hinterlands, Revantusk Village – 76,74.
- Arathi Highlands, Hammerfall – 74,41.
- Badlands, Kargath – 4,49.
- Burning Steppes, Flame Crest – 62,29.
- Swamp of Sorrows, Stonard – 47,47.
- Stranglethorn Vale, East of Booty Bay – 32,75.
Eastern Kingdoms Alliance:
- Western Plaguelands, Chillwind Camp – 43,82.
- The Hinterlands, Aerie Peak – 14,50.
- Hillsbrad Foothills, Southshore – 50,46.
- Arathi Highlands, Refuge Point – 50,44.
- Wetlands, Menethil Harbor – 13,47.
- Dun Morogh, Kharanos – 46,46.
- Loch Modan, Thelsamar – 32,40.
- Burning Steppes, Morgan’s Vigil – 80,62.
- Redridge Mountains, Lakeshire – 24,59.
- Blasted Lands, Nethergarde Keep – 58,17.
- Duskwood, Darkshire – 74,51.
- Westfall, Sentinel Hill – 56,54.
- Elwynn Forest, Goldshire – 43,65.
- Stranglethorn Vale, East of Booty Bay – 33,73.
- Terrokar Forest, Stonebreaker Hold – 52,43.
- Nagrand, Garadar – 51,34.
- Zangarmarsh, Zabra’Jin – 36,52.
- Blade’s Edge Mountains, Thunderlord Stronghold – 50,59.
- Netherstorm, Area 52 – 32,68.
- Hellfire Peninsula, Thrallmar – 55,40.
- Shadowmoon Valley, Shadowmoon Village – 33,30.
- Terrokar Forest, Allerian Stronghold – 55,55.
- Nagrand, Telaar – 50,70.
- Zangarmarsh, Telredor – 69,52.
- Blade’s Edge Mountains, Sylvanaar – 42,66.
- Netherstorm, Area 52 – 31,63.
- Hellfire Peninsula, Honor Hold – 62,58.
- Shadowmoon Valley, Wildhammer Stronghold – 40,55.
- Borean Tundra, Bor’gorok Outpost – 51,12.
- Scholazar Basin, River’s Heart – 47,62.
- Dragonblight, Agmar’s Hammer – 39,48.
- Crystalsong Forest, Sunreaver’s Command – 80,53.
- The Storm Peaks, K3 – 40,86.
- Zul’Drak, The Argent Stand – 43,71.
- Grizzly Hills, Conquest Hold – 19,61.
- Howling Fjord, Camp Winterhoof – 48,13.
- Borean Tundra, Fizzcrank Airstrip – 55,20.
- Scholazar Basin, River’s Heart – 47,66.
- Dragonblight, Wintergarde Keep – 75,44.
- Crystalsong Forest, Windrunner’s Outlook – 78,75.
- The Storm Peaks, K3 – 42,87.
- Zul’Drak, The Argent Stand – 41,61.
- Grizzly Hills, Amberpine Lodge – 34,61.
- Howling Fjord, Fort Wildervar – 58,16.
Ahune the Frost Lord
He resides within the Slave Pens, though you now only need to use the Dungeon Finder to find a group and get there. This will also net you a Satchel of Chilled Goods which will contain 2 Emblem of Frost, and a chance for either the Frigid Frostling or Frostscythe of Lord Ahune, which will no longer drop from the boss. When defeated there will be a chest which will contain an item to start a quest which rewards one of two tabards (Summer Skies or Summer Flames) and 20 Burning Blossom.
To activate him, a member of your party must click on the ice stone, which will melt, and then he is summoned. During the first phase you will do reduced damage on him. It is possible for ranged to dps him down a little, this will affect the Frozen Core’s health, though it won’t be much. There are spawned adds which need to be taken care of, and frost spikes which are best to avoid as they throw you into the air and you will take damage. Once this phase is over he is reduced to his weakened state, the Frozen Core, which can be dpsed down in one go, though it’s not necessary. If he isn’t killed in this phase, then it will go back to phase 1.
The items you can loot from the chest are the following:
- Cloak of the Frigid Winds
- Icebound Cloak
- Shroud of Winter’s Chill
- The Frost Lord’s Battle Shroud
- The Frost Lord’s War Cloak
The currency for the Midsummer festival is Burning Blossom. You receive these from dailies, tabard quest, other quests, honouring and desecrating flames.
I personally recommend you buy the outfit and 5 juggling torches first in order to complete your achievements.
- 5 Juggling Torch (available after completing the Torch Juggling quest) – 5 Blossoms
- Handful of Summer Petals – 2 Blossoms
- Mantle of the Fire Festival – 100 Blossoms
- Vestment of Summer – 100 Blossoms
- Sandals of Summer – 200 Blossoms
- Brazier of Dancing Flames – 350 Blossoms
- Captured Flame – 350 Blossoms
- 5 Elderberry Pie – 5 Blossoms
- 5 Fire-toasted Bun – 5 Blossoms
- 5 Midsummer Sausage – 5 Blossoms
- 5 Toasted Smorc – 5 Blossoms
- Bag of Smorc Ingredients – 5 Blossoms
- 5 Fiery Festival Brew – 2 Blossoms